Everyone loves that one dish they used to have when they were little. The meal that makes you feel like you are getting a big snuggly hug off your mum. That is this dish for my sister and I. This recipe is from my mum and one of our firm faves. Something so tasty but unbelievable simple. You have to try this.
This is a perfect dish for those chilly evenings where you just want something so easy to make and to make you feel all warm inside. With the addition of some fluffy mashed potato and some beautifully crisp green vegetables this makes a perfect midweek meal.
700g white fish (I used coley and pollock)
200g grated cheese (I used mature cheddar)
2 tomatoes (sliced)
300ml milk (for a more creamy flavour use full fat)
2 eggs (I used large eggs)
salt and pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180c/350F/gas 4
2. Grease an oven proof ceramic or pyrex dish
3. Whisk together the eggs and milk and add a couple of pinches salt and pepper, then put to one side.
4. Pat dry the fish with kitchen towel and lay in the dish evenly
5. Pour most of the eggs and milk liquid over the fish
6. Sprinkle the cheese over the dish and then pour over the rest of the liquid
7. Lay the sliced tomatoes ontop of the dish and season
8. Put in the oven and bake until the cheese is golden brown and it feels firm/bouncy to touch. This is about 40 mins I think.
9. Serve with some lovely fluffy mash and green veg.
10. Heaven in a meal! Enjoy!