Oh yes, between Almancil and Quarteira in the Algarve, Portugal there is an infamous eatery, and boy can those guys cook! The place is called Marufo 1 (although many local/resident Brits affectionately call it The Chicken Shack). They have another restaurant across the road obviously called Marufo 2! I kid you not.
Their menu is simple, and unbeliveably good value for money. My family and I have been going there for lunches, dinners, and takeaways for over 15 years now. If you are ever in the area, it is definitely worth a visit. Their main dish is Chicken Piri-Piri, which you can get in the majority of local beach cafes and restaurants, and usually is served with chips and a salad. In Almancil there is another ‘Chicken Shack’ called Churrasqueira de Almancil, this is my parents ‘local’ for chicken, and there’s is very good as well.
So when my boyfriend and I get back from our time in the Algarve, this is one of the meals we miss and crave. So I have invented my easy no fuss Chicken Shack Chicken which has the spice kick and satifies our need to check Easyjet for their next flights back out there!
So here it is…
6x Chicken Drumsticks/Thighs with skins on
10x Piri-Piri or Bird Eye chilli peppers (If you don’t have any just use dried chilli flakes)
2 tbsp x Jalepeno Peppers
Salt and Pepper
1. Pre heat the oven to 240c/475f/Gas Mark 9
2. Take out a shallow roasting tin and pour a generous slug of which ever oil you are using in to the tin so it covers the base of the tin
3. Add the chilli peppers and jalepeno peppers to the oil with salt and pepper and shake the roasting tin so that they are all covered with oil
4. Add all the chicken, for each piece of chicken place in the oil and roll in the oil making sure the piece is fully oiled
5. Place in the oven for 35-40 minutes. Keep an eye on the chicken as depending on the size of the chicken pieces this could differ considerably (I speak from experience!!) While the chicken is cooking prepare the chips and salad. (We serve with hand cut twice fried chips and a salad)
6. Once the chicken has been in the oven for 15 mins, take the chicken out and baste the skins with the juices and oils in the tin, do this after another 10 minutes then after 5 minutes.
7. Once the meat is cooked through and the skins are crispy, serve with the salad and chips and make sure you indulge and pour some of the juices/oils/peppers on your meat, chips and salad, alternatively pour some into a small jug to have on the table, as this really gives a great kick to the meal.